Logo

Delhi High Court Suspends Rajpal Yadav’s Jail Term in Cheque Bounce Case After ₹1.5 Crore Payment, Grants Interim Relief Till March 18

Shivam Y.

Delhi High Court suspends Rajpal Yadav’s jail term in cheque bounce case after ₹1.5 crore payment, grants interim relief till March 18.

Delhi High Court Suspends Rajpal Yadav’s Jail Term in Cheque Bounce Case After ₹1.5 Crore Payment, Grants Interim Relief Till March 18
Join Telegram

The Delhi High Court on Monday put Bollywood actor Rajpal Yadav’s jail sentence on hold, clearing the way for his temporary release in a cheque bounce case. The order came after Yadav paid ₹1.5 crore to the complainant company and cited a family wedding later this month.

Background of the Case

In May 2024, a sessions court had sentenced Yadav to six months in prison over unpaid dues of ₹2.5 crore. The High Court had earlier paused the sentence when his lawyer said the dispute would be settled. That promise did not materialise.

Read also:- Gujarat HC Clears Way for Police Recruit, Says Minor, Quashed FIR Can’t Block Appointment

On February 2, the court rejected Yadav’s explanation about an error in a demand draft and noted that he had not taken steps to fix it. When payment deadlines passed again, the court directed him to surrender. His request for more time was turned down, and he surrendered on February 5.

Justice Swarana Kanta Sharma recorded that Yadav has now paid ₹1.5 crore to the complainant, Murli Projects Private Limited. Granting interim relief, the judge said,

“Interim suspension of sentence till the next date of hearing… You should be present in the court or remain present on VC. We do not want any discrepancy.”

Read also:- Madras High Court Upholds Life Sentence of Parents in Temple Poisoning Case, Says Negative Viscera Report Not Fatal

Earlier, the court had made it clear that status or profession cannot be a reason for special treatment, and had criticised repeated breaches of undertakings.

Taking note of the partial payment and Yadav’s request linked to a marriage in his family on February 19, the High Court suspended the sentence till March 18, the next date of hearing, and directed the actor to remain present, either in person or through video conferencing.