New Delhi, Nov. 25 - The Supreme Court on Tuesday refused to restore the bail of Manoj Kumar Sinha, saying serious allegations surfaced after he walked out of jail nearly two years ago. The two-judge bench heard the matter briefly but closely, with both sides presenting sharply different versions of what happened after Sinha’s 2022 bail order. The courtroom mood wasn’t tense, but there was clear curiosity over what the police report actually contained.
Background
Sinha had secured bail from the Jharkhand High Court in November 2022 in a criminal case. However, in June this year, the same High Court cancelled that relief after the complainant alleged intimidation and pressure to withdraw the case. So, the petitioner moved the Supreme Court, arguing the cancellation was unfair and based purely on assumptions.
Read also: Supreme Court Grants Bail to Agra Man After Nearly Three Years in Jail, Flags Long Delay in Hearing
Senior advocate Siddharth Luthra, appearing for Sinha, told the bench that the accusations “are built only on suspicion.” He also said the complainant has already testified and been cross-examined in the trial, so “the foundation of interference with justice doesn’t exist anymore.”
Court’s Observations
But the State of Jharkhand disagreed and came prepared. Its counsel referred to a previous Supreme Court direction that required Ranchi’s Senior Superintendent of Police to personally verify the allegations. That sealed-cover report created a turning point.
Read also: Urgent Mentions Only Through Written Slips Except in 'Extraordinary' Cases, CJI Surya Kant Clarifies
According to the bench, the document indicates that some alleged acts, including threats, appear to have taken place after Sinha was granted bail. “The bench observed, ‘Material has emerged suggesting misuse of the privilege of bail, which still requires investigation,’” signalling that the judges weren’t convinced restoration was appropriate right now.
When the petitioner insisted the threats came from “different persons entirely,” and that the phone allegedly used to receive those calls was missing, the court didn’t treat it as a decisive rebuttal. On the other hand, the complainant’s lawyer claimed the police had already drawn a link between Sinha and the threatening calls.
The judges clarified they were not concluding guilt at this stage but had to acknowledge the seriousness of the preliminary findings. They seemed especially concerned that the police probe is ongoing and being monitored by a top-rank officer.
Read also: Supreme Court Quashes Criminal Case in Assam Family Property Dispute, Says Civil Conflict Cannot
Decision
Ultimately, the Supreme Court upheld the High Court’s order cancelling bail. The petition was dismissed, and the bench directed Sinha to surrender before the trial court within one week. The judges added that this order “shall not prejudice” his defence during trial. They also urged the courts below to speed up proceedings considering the petitioner’s age, and reminded the State to ensure witnesses appear on scheduled dates. And with that, the matter was closed for now, leaving the real battle to continue at the trial court.
Case Title: Manoj Kumar Sinha vs. State of Jharkhand & Anr.
Case Number: SLP (Crl.) No. 9559/2025
Case Type: Special Leave Petition (Criminal)
Decision Date: 25 November 2025