Logo
Court Book - India Code App - Play Store

Z+ Security for Mukesh Ambani Not Up for Debate: Supreme Court

13 Jun 2025 3:53 PM - By Vivek G.

Z+ Security for Mukesh Ambani Not Up for Debate: Supreme Court

On June 13, the Supreme Court issued a stern warning to litigants who repeatedly filed petitions against the Z+ security cover granted to Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani and his family. The Court directed that the security should continue both in India and abroad, the cost of which will have to be borne by the Ambani family.

The application was filed by Bikash Saha, seeking clarification on the court's previous order of February 2023. That order had already reiterated its previous decision to provide Z+ security to Ambani, his wife Nita Ambani and their children Akash, Anant and Isha Ambani in India and abroad.

Read also: Supreme Court: Railways can levy penalty for misdeclared goods even after delivery under Section 66

The court said, "It is surprising that this Court had observed in its earlier order that the present applicant does not have locus standi… yet the petitioner has dared to file similar prayers again and again."

A bench of Justices Prashant Kumar Mishra and Justices Manmohan strongly criticised the applicant for wasting judicial time by repeatedly and baseless litigation. The court reminded that the threat perception to the Ambani family has already been assessed by competent agencies, and such matters do not fall under the jurisdiction of individual litigants.

"Who are you to decide the threat perception? The Government of India will decide it, no? If an accident happens tomorrow, will you take responsibility?" Justice Manmohan asked during the hearing.

Read also: Supreme Court Judges and Bar Association Express Deep Condolences on Ahmedabad Plane

Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for the Ambani family, clarified that the family bears the cost of its security and the security is based on the threat assessment done by the government. He also pointed out that the same litigant had earlier approached the Tripura High Court, which was later dismissed by the Supreme Court.

"This gentleman has nothing to do with us. He first filed a PIL in Tripura… that matter came here and this court made strong observations saying he has no locus standi to do all this," Rohatgi said.

The court emphasised that the security issue has been litigated and settled earlier. It dismissed the present miscellaneous application as "frivolous and vexatious" and reiterated that the Ambani family will continue to be provided Z+ security.

Read also: Supreme Court Dismisses Plea Challenging Andhra Pradesh Mega DSC Teacher Recruitment Exam 2025

The litigation began in 2022 when the Tripura High Court had sought the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) to produce files containing security threat perception. However, the Supreme Court stayed that order. Later, on July 22, 2022, a three-judge bench closed the pending petitions, and directed the Central government to provide adequate security to the Ambani family at their own expense.

In its February 2023 order, the court clarified that the security cover is not limited to Maharashtra but should extend across the country and abroad as per the business activities and travel pattern of the Ambani family.

"If there is a threat for which security is provided and that too at their own expense, it cannot be restricted to a particular geographical location," the court said.

Case Details: UNION OF INDIA vs BIKASH SAHA|MA 1080-1081/2025 in SLP(C) No. 11164-11165/2022